With much chest-thumping, Gov. Rick Scott last week signed a law clipping auto-tag fees by about $25 per vehicle in Florida. He used the opportunity to blast former Gov. Charlie Crist for raising those fees five years ago.
Alimony Reform Is Coming [Video]
- The alimony checks continue until the payee remarries, even if the payor becomes sick or retires.
- Increasing lifespans and co-habitation mean payments get extended much longer.
- Permanent alimony ties former spouses to unhealthy relationships.
- Court ordered alimony payments rely too much on the judge’s discretion.
- Alimony based on established formulas that take into account the length of the marriage, and the age of supported spouse.
- A set date for payments to end.
- Removal of judicial discretion on the payment terms.